Thursday, September 27, 2012

Spaghetti Omelet Sandwiches


Finally time to write about my new found favorite lunch: spaghetti omelet sandwiches.. yes this is a real thing. They take some eggs, spices and vegetables, mix in a handful of spaghetti and make an omelet, then stuff that omelet in a delicious baguette. It is really an incredible experience. So when I drown in the Middlebury pool come December everyone will know what to blame. Coming to Africa I thought it would be fairly easy to stay in shape and eat healthy but it is really difficult. Almost the entirety of the diet is carb based – bread at every meal, pasta, couscous, rice, etc. Meat is really expensive so it is rarely the focus of the meal. There are a fair amount of vegetables at dinner but we can’t get them off the street or in the supermarket unless we plan on cooking them or we will get sick so there are few alternatives to eating a primarily carb diet. In addition to that, either the malaria medication that I take or I am having a really hard time adjusting because come 8 pm I am beat. I just have no extra energy to go on a run or work out most days, plus there is rarely time even if I did have the energy. Very nervous to go on training trip in December but hopefully you other abroaders will be right there with me!! 

Sooo good.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andie,
    We are on school holidays and I took the children camping for a few days. Now Cousin Carey is visiting, so we are sight seeing Sydney, the children are old enough to climb the Harbour Bridge, so that was first on our list, and then all the sights, Opera House, Manly, North Head. He left today to dive off Cairns and then he and Skip are going to Perth, when he returns we do more of Sydney. In reference to your Hair, I have heard that if you manage to NOT wash your hair for 6 weeks, that you never need to wash it again. That apparently all the oils balance out. There was a challenge done by a radio station recently. Maybe you could give that myth a go???? Hair washing is always my drama. I loved catching up on your blog. Aunt S xx

    ReplyDelete