Monday, September 17, 2012

African dance


Pretty normal morning of classes. We talked in French class about the emergence of NGOs in Africa and what some of the frequent problems are.  Then we had to go out for thirty minutes and find someone on the street to talk to. Lauren and I went to a bar-like area right across from our school. We bought a big bottle of Fanta and sat with a big group of guys who are there every morning before we get to school and stay until long after we leave. At first I thought they were drinking for hours but it turns out it’s just their social space. It was fun to talk to them and practice in being absurdly friendly. After lunch we had an African dance class. I already knew I couldn’t dance.. now I know that I can’t dance like an African either. While we butchered what the woman was trying to teach us, two guys on drums made the coolest rhythms. Really fun to let go and try something new despite the embarrassment! 

Thyra breaking it down

Lookman being Lookman

Pretty afternoon clouds

No comments:

Post a Comment