Friday, November 16, 2012

ISP Begins!

After much debate and many topic changes, I finalized my location in Kribi (gorgeous coastal town of Cameroon) and my research topic on the perceptions of poverty of a local village population juxtaposed with what a local NGO gives them in terms of aid. I am looking to see if there is a difference between the two and if there is, where it comes from and how it affects the quality / effectiveness of aid. I am super excited. I arrived in Kribi on Monday with another American student in the group. We took a typical Africa bus ride, which was quite an experience. There were 42 people in one bus, absolutely crammed in. I was smushed between my friend and an African man, not even enough room for my shoulders between the two. The bus ride was about 4 hours long with one stop on the side of the road so people could squat down and pee right by the road. It was such a relief when we finally arrived in Kribi. We immediately went to meet our host families. Mine seems really nice, 2 brothers and 1 sister and a very nice house. I have my own room which is great. There is no running water but the electricity has been on consistently since I’ve been here which is good when I have to do so much work on my computer. We went to see the office of the local NGO I am looking at and met with our contact there, Veronique. She seems very nice and very smart. I’m looking forward to working with her.
On Tuesday we arrived at the office around 7:30 because the NGO was having an open house starting at 8. However, Cameroon being Cameroon, we sat around for hours waiting for it to start. Finally at 12:30 the activities began, though it turned out to be more of a celebration than an information open house. It finished within the hour and we wanted to leave to visit the beach but Veronique made us stay to eat lunch because in Cameroon it is rude to allow someone to leave without feeding them. So we had some plantain fries then rushed to our houses to grab bathing suits and go to the ocean. It was sooo nice to hang out in the water (it was safe Mom don’t worry) because it is unbelievably hot here. Definitely in the 90s everyday and very humid and of course there is no air conditioning to sit in.
Wednesday we once again arrived too early for an event but it started only a couple hours late. The NGO (WOPA) had invited many women from the town and from surrounding villages to take part in a seminar teaching about microfinance. WOPA is providing these women with abour $200 each to start up a small business that will help them feed their children. It was very disorganized but during a lull period, I was able to identify three women that live in the specific village I am researching and interview them on their needs and also what WOPA does for them. So happy to at least have a few interviews done. After the seminar was over Jozy and I had a wonderful lunch in a local restaurant by the beach. The cook wasn’t there but the waitress called him in to make us some food. He arrived and told us there wasn’t any food but he would go to the market to buy some. After many hours of waiting, we enjoyed delicious omelettes and plantain fries. I got home and the house was so hot and stuffy I leave right away to buy a fan. My fan is my new best friend though I continue to sweat even when sitting in front of it.
Finally, today I had a very relaxed day. Veronique was busy all day and I have to organize my trip to the village with her at least for the first time when I don’t really know my way around so I hung out in my house all day alone. I cooked myself a nice meal and did some background research for my paper and listened to some new African music I bought off the street. I met Jozy in the afternoon to go dress shopping so we can be a little cooler walking around, had a late lunch and met Veronique to discuss details of travel. I’m planning on visiting the village on Saturday for the first time and I’m really excited!
So far Kribi has definitely had its ups and downs. I’m frustrated with the lax way of dealing with time here, and feel my precious research days slipping by unused, but I keep reminding myself it’s the culture here and I need to accept it. Plus, it’s hard to stay upset for too long when I can see the ocean every day! 

Lunch by the beach

So excited in my WOPA t-shirt!

So Many Fishhh

Walk to Jozy's

Does it gets any better?

No comments:

Post a Comment